TEMPLETON is a small village in the Mid Devon District Council area of Devon, about 5 miles from Tiverton.
Access to the village is from several different directions though the most dramatic is through a ford and up a very steep narrow lane with grass growing in the middle and the hedges meeting overhead.
It has a well equipped Village Hall with bar and large car park.
The Parish Church, built in 1355 by or for the Knights Templars, is dedicated to St Margaret.
Research shows that Templeton was once a Manor and Sir William Pole who was an owner of the Manor. Templeton was a possession of the Knights Templar and after the suppression of that order in 1312 passed to the Knights Hospitaller of St John. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries by King Henry VIII, Templeton was taken into the ownership of the Crown and was re-granted by that King to George Loosemore, whose son Robert Loosemore sold it to Sir William Peryam of Little Fulford near Crediton, Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer. On the marriage of his eldest daughter Mary Peryam to Sir William Pole of Shute, as part of her marriage settlement he conveyed the manor of Templeton to her husband.